Nietzsche and the Nazis
* The hardcover book version published August 2010.
* The Kindle version at Amazon.
* The 2:45-hour documentary at Netflix and on DVD at Amazon.
* Audiobook edition published 2013 (MP3 and YouTube links below).
* The brochure with the full table of contents [PDF].
* Polish translation forthcoming in 2014.
* Samples of the manuscript are below in PDF format.
Table of Contents [PDF]
1. Fascinated by history
2. What is philosophy of history?
3. How could Nazism happen?
4. Five weak explanations for National Socialism
5. Explaining Nazism philosophically
6. The Nazi Party Program
7. Collectivism, not individualism
8. Economic socialism, not capitalism
9. Nationalism, not internationalism or cosmopolitanism
10. Authoritarianism, not liberal democracy
11. Idealism, not politics as usual
12. Nazi democratic success
13. Political controls
14. Education [PDF]
17. Economic controls
19. The Holocaust
20. The question of Nazism’s philosophical roots
21. Who was Friedrich Nietzsche? [PDF]
22. God is dead
23. Nihilism’s symptoms
24. Masters and slaves
25. The origin of slave morality
26. The Overman
27. Five differences
28. On the “blond beast” and racism
29. On contemporary Germans
30. On anti-Semitism
31. On the Jews
32. On Judaism and Christianity
33. Summary of the five differences
34. Anti-individualism and collectivism
35. Conflict of groups
36. Instinct, passion, and anti-reason
37. Conquest and war
39. Summary of the five similarities
40. Hindsight and future resolve
41. Principled anti-Nazism
Part 9. Appendices
42. Appendix 1: NSDAP Party Program [PDF]
43. Appendix 2: Quotations on Nazi socialism and fascism [PDF]
44. Appendix 3: Quotations on German anti-Semitism [PDF]
45. Appendix 4: Quotations on German militarism [PDF]
The cover of the video documentary (at right).
Nietzsche and the Nazis — documentary screenshots.
The first several minutes of the documentary are posted at YouTube:
On a lighter note: Ricky Gervais’s “Politics (Hitler interprets Nietzsche).”
Return to the StephenHicks.org main page.